Star Wars News from Around the Galaxy for September 26 2011

star-wars-blu-ray1.jpg

In this week’s edition, we’ll look at a time not to use a Star Wars reference, the Blu-Ray success story, and a special shout out and happy birthday to one of our favorites. So let’s get started.

While using Star Wars references might work at your local LAN party, at football games, not so much. Especially at Florida Gator games. It seems that a reporter spoke to the head coach of the Gators Will Muschamp and asked him, innocently, if he had a padawan-master relationship with his old boss Nick Saban.The spitfire leader, known in some circles as Captain Blood, was taken back by the question stating that he didn’t know what a padawan was and thought the journalist had called him something bad. Since Star Wars really isn’t a staple in professional football, I guess we can understand his confusion, but then perhaps the reporter shouldn’t have been so bold.

Well whether or not people hate George Lucas and what’s he’s done this time around to the Blu-Ray set, people are still going to buy it. That was evidenced by the fact that the nine disc Complete Saga edition is the number #1 selling Blu-Ray set of all time. Even besides the $80 price tag, the set has been sold 1 million times, half of that being in the US, in its first week alone. If those that said they plan to boycott actually have, then it certainly didn’t seem to have much effect on the Lucas’ pocket. The series will no doubt continue to be a big seller. Sadly enough the actors in the original trilogy won’t see a dime from these new runs, which is sure to anger Carrie Fisher even further.

And speaking of original trilogy actors, happy belated 60th birthday to Mark Hamill, whose celebrated the occasion on Sunday. Now I feel old as I remember him as the young man, facing the dark side and Vader. But then I was pretty young myself back then. He’s always been a fan favorite at conventions and is still working today, although mostly in the video game industry. He played the joker in the popular Arkham game series for the consoles and PC, a role he has played often in the animated Batman show and in other venues. It’s a shame that we hadn’t seen him in more movies over the years, but because of a scar on his from a car accident just after he finished the trilogy, it was hard for him to find roles. He did appear in Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back as a parody of Luke. But we will say one thing. He’s never really spat on the show or the fans which we really respect. So here’s to you Mark, may you have many more years.

And that’s the news this week. Thanks for reading.

Home Register