Vader

KaliaOfOnderon

Reaction score
Neither one entirely, though I think both play a part. He's actually a very complex character. This is my take on his motivation: when Padme died, he was overwhelmed with sorrow and guilt. He had ruined his life and had nothing left except for the Emperor. He threw himself into his work for Palpatine in the hope of forgetting his pain; this is what made him such a dutiful servant of the Empire. Other than that, He was motivated by anger: anger at himself for becoming what he was, and anger at Palpatine for helping make him what he was (he planned to overthrow the Emperor). He redirected his anger at his enemies and his unfortunate underlings.

Last edited:

Sky

Reaction score
Like Kalia said, more anger and guild for what he had become, losing everyone he loved and cared for and he accomplished nothing from it.

KaliaOfOnderon

Reaction score
P.S.
To me it doesn't seem like an accident that Vader never succeeded in overthrowing the Emperor until episode VI, when he had a complete change of heart. Before that point I think his conscience demanded that he make some sort of attempt to take out Palpatine, but I think his sense of duty prevented him from succeeding. The part of him that wanted the Emperor gone was at war with the part of him that was the Emperor's dutiful apprentice.

joinTheEmpire

Reaction score
This depends on whether or not you believe that Lucas had the prequels as a part of the story back when he wrote "A New Hope". I personally don't think he did. There are too many plot holes between the original trilogy and the prequels. That being said, and accepting 1-3 as part of the story, which they are, I think he is fueled by anger at himself. He believed he killed his love, and it turned him into a monster. Now, before the prequels were introduced, I believe that he was motivated by his job, and his good side was only brought to the surface by Luke's faith in him. And we all know, Vader finds lack of faith...well...disturbing.

Dori

Reaction score
Is Vader motivated by anger or guilt?
As much as it feels that Vader is motivated by anger or guilt, I can't help it to think that fear and anxiety also played a very big role in everything that he did. Looking at what he did to the Temple, you would understand how his fears and anxiety influenced his actions.

Home Register