Another Day Another Star Wars The Old Republic Trailer

maxresdefault (7).jpg

I’ll say one thing for Bioware. They sure aren’t letting any grass grow under their feet in their daily quest to make sure that everyone on the planet is interested in their soon to be released MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic. Usually we see maybe two or three trailers for a game, but Bioware releases one just about every day or so it seems like. Now, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with that. In fact I applaud their courage as it gives new fodder for their critics to tear apart, and I really enjoy seeing what is possible in the new worlds of the Lucas Empire.

Their latest trailer focuses on the battle techniques and differences between the Sith Inquisitor and the Republic Trooper. These two characters stand in stark contrast to each other as you can see below. To me, the trooper is basically just a foot soldier with a huge gun and some heavy armor. His whole thing is just to go in there and kick butt and chew gum and he’s out of gum. For those players who like the thrill of the kamikaze approach, this one might be for you. The Inquisitor, on the other hand, seems more like an actual Jedi with all sorts of cool powers such as cloaking, lightning out of her hands, a double light saber, etc. She plans her moves carefully and has aspirations to take over the universe. The trooper just wants to get through the day without dying. The two are really an unfair comparison. It would be like Obi-Wan against a stormtrooper. But then Han Solo did say that there is nothing like a good blaster at your side, and the soldier definitely has one.

So I’m not really sure what the point is. Oh yeah, to buy the game. And It did make me want to do that, but I think I would definitely like to be the Inquisitor instead of the top grunt in the Rebel Army. Besides, the Dark Side has cookies, right? No? Hmmm. I’ll have to get back to them then about choosing a side.

Star Wars: The Old Republic as we’ve mentioned time and time again will be available on December 20, 2011 with early access for beta testers and pre-order customers.

Home Register