Star Wars Meets Operation

alexandr-filin-.jpg

As you are probably aware, Hasbro makes a lot of the Star Wars toys, especially action figures, and such and so it’s no great stretch that they would take one of their most popular games Operation and make a Star Wars edition featuring our favorite robots R2D2 and C3PO.

The game of Operation has had a long past and for the longest time was just about a guy who was in pretty bad shape. He had to have lots of organs and bones removed from his body or he was going to die. The idea was that you had to be the steady handed surgeon that was able to take out all of these things without touching the sides, for if you did, you blew it and he’d keel over. Or at least a light on his nose would glow and you’d hear a buzz sound. I guess he had those surgically implanted earlier in his life.

Hasbro has a lot of different versions based on everything from Disney to comic book characters. You can save Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story 3, Mater from Cars 2, Spiderman, the Hulk, and even Homer Simpson. And so it seems only natural that R2D2 would get his own. After all, he’s a robot. He’s made of metal, has a light on his forehead and he beeps to talk. He seems like the perfect candidate to be poked and prodded with hydrospanners. We are surprised it took Hasbro this long, especially since they’ve had the rights to make Star Wars toys for years.

C3PO, BTW, will not be an added character that you get to operate on. Instead, we’ll be playing his part as the surgeon. I know he was versed in several million languages, but I didn’t realize his programming involved removing a stuck lightsaber, a bad memory module, a glob of grease, and even a swamp snake from Dagobah. How did that get in there? And there is even a pain in the fleck that has to be gotten out. Given how nervous the protocol droid is all the time, it’s probably a good thing that he is letting us handle it while he simply assists. Otherwise, there could be trouble.

But no matter what, R2D2 will survive to be operated on another day. All we have to do is throw all the pieces back into him and he’ll be good to go again. Good thing he’s got really good health coverage.

Operation: Star Wars should be arriving in stores any second and if the other editions are any indication, should be around $17 or so although Star Wars stuff always seems to cost more.

Home Register