Star Wars The Phantom Menace 3D Poster Revealed

231810051.jpeg

As you are aware, George Lucas is at least planning on releasing Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace in 3D, with the promise (or as some people say the threat) of releasing the other ones as well, if this one does okay. Disney’s recent success with Lion King 3D should give them some hope that rereleases with that added dimension can be popular, but perhaps they should have started with Episode four. But I digress. This is not about that. It’s about the poster that was released on the film and the odd omissions.

The new poster obviously is trying not so much to push the film itself, but the idea it’s going to be in 3D. It displays some of the elements that will benefit from the 3D, such as the pod racers which we think will be very cool, but hopefully not sickening to people with motion illness issues. The other prominent element is Darth Maul. This also makes sense. The battle at the end between the Jedi and Sith was one of the defining moments in the film, and is sure to be made better by the process. Since he was fighting Obi-Wan, we can see his inclusion in the poster as well.

But what didn’t jive is why Yoda and R2-D2 or the Emperor. I would have to go back and watch it again, but I don’t remember these characters being in scenes that would benefit from the 3D effect, and so they seem out of place on the poster promoting such. Perhaps their inclusion wouldn’t have been so obvious if it wasn’t for the fact that Qui-Gon Jinn was left out of the mix. He was certainly a big part of the movie, and was part of the Duel of Fates at the end, so why wouldn’t they include him? Does Liam Neeson have some sort of licensing rights that was too expensive?

Of course, this may be only a teaser poster with a set of characters on it that could be followed soon by another one with different characters. Having a series of posters, each highlighting different sections of the film seems to be a popular concept these days. Look at Toy Story III and Thor for example. They had one for practically every character individually. Since Qui-Gon was mostly in the portion of training young Anakin (who wasn’t here either) and that section introduced Padme, C-3PO and Jar Jar Binks, it’s possible they are saving that for another poster later on.

Either way, expect Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D on February 10, 2012 to be released in Real3D, digital 3D and select 2D theaters. Wait, what? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose? If you don’t believe me, look at the bottom of the poster for confirmation. Guess Lucas figures he can make a few extra bucks by showing the flat version too.

Home Register